Head, Biometrics and Statistics Unit Job in Nigeria
at International Institute of Tropical Agriculture - IITA in Oyo State | Posted under Science Jobs
Location: IITA-Ibadan, Nigeria
Organisation: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
• IITA is looking for a suitably qualified person to fill the position of Head, Biometrics and Statistics Unit.
• The Biometrics and Statistics Unit has a research and service role for IITA across all our locations and programs.
• The appropriate design, database development, and analysis of experiments are a key function for the science of IITA and this unit is critical to the quality of this science.
• IITA works in a wide diversity of research areas with a diversity of quantitative, qualitative, and spatial statistics.
• The Head of this unit will need to give leadership in this area and to manage the activities of its staff across IITA.
The primary responsibilities for the Head, Biometrics and Statistics Unit will include:
• Provision of advice to scientists, partners and students on statistics within their specific research program.
• Contribute to the increased use of bio informatics at IITA.
• Contribute to the development and use of databases for trial data, baseline surveys, evaluation of genetic resources, and other repositories for IITA research data.
• Enhance the quality of the IITA research with more appropriate experimental design, survey tool, and use of statistics.
• Publish on new approaches to statistics and methods of the IITA research areas.
• Conduct training programs in statistics for IITA scientists, partners, and students as needed.
• Contribute to resource mobilization by participating in the development of research proposals.
• Training of MSc and PhD students through supervision of thesis research in collaboration with universities.
• Leading a team of support staff.
The candidate should have a PhD degree in biometrics or statistics.
• At least 8 years experience in applying statistics to research programs in genetics, agronomy, natural resource management, and/or social sciences.
• At least 5 years experience in the management of a biometrics or statistics program with a range of staff experiences, a range of research and service functions, and budget management.
• Experience with statistical packages such as GENSTAT, SAS, SPSS, and open sources program such as R, PowerMaker, DARwin and Tassel.
• Experience with bio informatics and database development.
• Good scientific publication record.
• Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment.
• Excellent leadership, interpersonal, and team building skills.
• Excellent communication in English and French is an advantage.
General information: Initial appointment is for three years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Applications including curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager. Please complete our online application form using this link: IITA Job Application Portal
Closing Date: The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Remember to mention JobNAVY.com when contacting employers! Do not pay for recruitment. Report such case at Scam Alert Forum.
Recent Jobs at International Institute of Tropical Agriculture - IITA